40th Anniversary: Lizards run amok in Sun City West!

19 comments
40th Anniversary: Lizards run amok in Sun City West!

To celebrate the fact that Sun City West was built on an area historically known as “Lizard Acres,” the Rec Centers’ events staff has planned a fun activity in the month leading up to the community’s 40th anniversary to celebrate the unique moniker.

The “Lizard” Scavenger Hunt incorporates 40 large wooden lizards, creatively painted by community members, and placed throughout the community at activity centers, a golf course and other well-known facilities in Sun City West.

Each of the lizards is numbered, and a corresponding photo is featured on the entry form. Residents who want to participate must find each of these lizards and indicate in which location they spotted the lizard.

There are entry forms available at Member Services, the R.H. Johnson Box Office and each of the monitor stations at the activity centers, as well as via this LINK. The hunt will begin Jan. 15 and run through Feb. 15. Please do not move any of these lizards from their appointed location!

All completed entry forms must be turned in to the R.H. Johnson Box Office by Friday, Feb. 16. On Sunday, Feb. 18, all of the lizards will be gathered and brought to the R.H. Johnson Plaza for display, and a FREE concert will be held on the R.H. Johnson Stage and Great Lawn from 4 to 6 p.m. At that time, completed entry forms that contain all of the correct locations will be put into a drawing for prizes.

The free concert features “String Fever,” a family of four gentlemen from the United Kingdom who perform on electric string instruments with a cellist and beat boxing. This show will be sure to entertain you, like nothing you’ve seen before.

Join us for the hunt, concert and all of the fun 40th Anniversary activities. See your recent Rec Center News for more information on additional event dates and locations.

For more information, call the Box Office at 623-544-6093 or check scwaz.com.

1. Connie Kvam says:

Will the winners be posted somewhere?

• Multimedia says:

Hello Connie. I spoke to Julie, our events planner. She tells me that all of the winners were announced on Sunday, Feb. 18 at the finale concert. If you have any questions re: the results, feel free to give Julie a call at 623-544-6583.

2. Doug Orman says:

How many prizes are you awarding, just one?

3. Sheela George says:

I am missing # 10,11 & 18. Since you are giving hints for all the ones I already found, can you give me hints for the ones I do not have. Please, I need find these lizards hiding places. Thank you.

• Multimedia says:

Sheela, I’m sorry, but there are no more clues. We did give out a couple early on for the lizards several people were having trouble with. Just checked with the Anniversary Committee and there are over 60 completed sheets turned in as of today.

4. Can you please give me a hint to find#6 found all the others. Thanks

5. joan denton says:

need hints with 17 and 24…..please.

• Multimedia says:

Hello Joan. So sorry, but we can’t give out any more hints. To help motivate you, we have had 36 completed sheets turned in thus far. Happy lizard hunting!

6. My apologies. My clue request is addressed to SCWAZ staff not Sandy? But good morning to Sandy anyway.

7. Good morning Sandy. I thought I found #14 but in rechecking turned out to be #32. Ugh! Can you provide a clue for #14? Thank you

• Multimedia says:

Hi Theresa! All we can say is that Lizard #14 loves the fresh air and is a very social guy! We have 15 completed lizard forms turned in so far and will not be giving out any further lizard clues folks! Good luck!

8. Peggy Joynson says:

Talked with several people and no one can find #18. Did it run away? Can you give us a hint?

• Hi Peggy. We assure you our lizards are staying in place during this event until they all assemble on the RHJ Plaza for the free concert on Feb. 18. As for wily No. 18, we can tell you this – he is already on the RHJ campus, so he doesn’t have to travel from another campus for the culminating event. And because he’s found a nice little place to hide, he should be just fine come rain or shine. (And just as a point of interest – four of your fellow residents have successfully found all the lizards! Thank you to all of you who are out there getting around and getting to know our community a little better through this fun event!)

• Can you give me a clue for lizard #3. I found all the other lizards

• Multimedia says:

Hi Sandy. That sneaky lizard #3 can be found on the campus of the rec center where all of our biggest concerts and dances are held. Be careful not to get wet!

9. Caroline and Dave Poling says:

Sounds like fun……….how can I help?

Caroline Poling

• Multimedia says:

Hi Caroline, you can contact Julie (julie.shawcross@suncitywest.com) to see if she needs assistance placing the lizards, but mostly just enter the contest and have fun!!