Apr. 30, 2012
Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: April 30, 2012
To: Dave Moeller, RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Activity Report– 04/30/12
1. Congratulations to everyone involved with the Walgreen’s Charity Classic 2012 Legend’s Tournament. What a huge success! The compliments and the other positive comments continue to come in. Thank you to staff, all our volunteers, event sponsors, LPGA Legends representatives, the ladies of the Legends Tour and everyone who took the time to buy a ticket and come out and support this event. What a great Team effort!
2. The General Manager met with officers of the Pickleball and Racquet Clubs to explore a compromise plan regarding the Palm Ridge Tennis courts. Mr. Whiting requested that the clubs consider supporting a plan to pour post tension concrete over the existing three tennis courts, that one of the courts be converted to four pickleball courts and the remaining two courts be retained for tennis. The Clubs will seek approval of their members and submit minutes of their meetings before the May 11th Governing Board Workshop.
3. Update onRHJFitnessCenter:
MaricopaCountycame out on Thursday, April 26th to do the final inspection on the RH Johnson Fitness Center. All passed except for the deferred submittals on the Automatic Fire Sprinkler System which passed the Fire Marshall’s inspection on April 23rd. The Fire Alarm System, which was not required, and the submittal for the Engineered Prefabricated wood trusses which had also passed the Engineer’s inspection. All deferred submittals were hand delivered to the County on Thursday, April 26th by Ken McIntyre, General Contractor. We have asked the County for a temporary Certificate of Occupancy while the submittals are being reviewed. We are awaiting their reply.
4. The Clay Club at Beardsley is scheduled for new VCT flooring to begin on May 21st. The current flooring is over 8 years old and the material is no longer available for making repairs.
R. H. Johnson Library
5. Introduction to Facebook at the DataResourceCenterwas attended by 57 people on Monday, April 23rd . Claudia Sherrill and Katy O’Grady did a great job providing instruction.
6. The MichaelNormanbook signing was attended by 46. There was a great question and answer session following his presentation on the illegal trade in ancient Native American artifacts.
7. An investment periodical,MorningstarOnlineInvestmentResearchCenterwill no longer be available in print and accessed on line only. We’ve made the necessary software changes and went live last week with a soft opening to work out any bugs.
8. OverDrive eBooks have been site developed and is in the testing stage right now. OverDrive will train the RH Johnson Library staff to use this software on Tuesday, May 8th.
9. We still plan to re-open the R.H.JohnsonFitnessCenteron Tuesday, May 1st at 8:00 a.m. Life Fitness representatives will be there on Tuesday and Wednesday to demonstrate new equipment.
10. We begin our series of Movies in the Park on Saturday, May 5th .
11. Phase III of the Membership Survey Focus Group takes place on Friday at 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the Palm Ridge Summit Hall. The Governing Board will join the group at 3:30 p.m.
12. So far we’ve sold 19 VIP Program passes for summer bowling. Passes are $35 up front and $1.25 for each game bowled We are well on our way to meeting our goal of 25 summer passes we anticipated selling.
13. Deadline for the Rec. Center News I noon on Friday, May 4th.
14. Our participation with Golf Now continues to generate more golf rounds for the Association especially on the weekends
15. Katy is away on vacation Thursday through Monday and will return to work on Tuesday, May 8th.
16. We will be switching the time-keeping system to new software from NOVA. The servers for the new system have been ordered and will be installed and operational some time in July. We plan to do extensive testing on the system before switching over from Infinitime. The new system will make it possible to clock in using an ordinary telephone on site as well as clock in using a computer or one of the 12 time clocks that will be installed.
17. The Golf Maintenance staff atGrandvieware cleaning up and rearranging the course now that the LPGA Legends Tour is over. They will be busy taking down tents, signage and rope and reinstalling yardage markers, etc. that were removed prior to the event.
18. The greens at Grandview Golf Course were aerified this morning. We are doing extra watering on some of the hot spots at our golf courses.