Aug. 06, 2012
Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 06, 2012
To: Terry Hamman, RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Activity Report– 08/06/12
1. The Masonry on the Grandview Cart Barn ahs been completed and the stucco application is also complete. The steel ledger has been installed and roof framing will start today. Trenches in the parking lot have been back filled and asphalt laid. Electrical and water lines to the Fire Department hook up have been installed, inspected and back filled. RGA Construction has completed the hook up to the main line, replaced the asphalt in the street and backfilled the open trench from the street side walk to the parking lot.
2. American Asphalt has completed the asphalt work to the back parking lot of the Kuentz Facility.
3. Work on the Bocce court board replacement project has begun and is near completion. The new board replacement for all eight courts has been completed and bumper material has been installed.
4. Running Construction completed the concrete pour to the existing Shuffleboard court area on Saturday.
5. All holes have been dug for the plinth board replacement at Lawn Bowls and one side has been complete with new posts and plinth boards.
6. Grading and drainage engineers are working on the Topography Survey for the islands that will be placed in Section I of the R.H. Johnson parking Lot.
7. After inspection of the Diving Board set up at Beardsley by the County, in order to replace the diving board, it is necessary for us to order and replace the entire diving board which includes the base. A P.O. has been issued for the new diving board.
8. Work on the remodeling of the Governing Board Conference Room is nearing completion. The changes to the ceiling and counter area looks great and expands the room significantly. The audio-visual equipment should be in the early part of next week.
9. We are working with our software vendor on the final touches of the Rewards Point Program for golf. We expect to roll this out in mid-September. We have a dozen people in our trail program so far and have had very good results with them so far. We’re looking to rolling it out to all non-golf card holders soon and expect it will increase golf play, merchandise sales and food and beverage sales.
10. We are installing interducting throughout the RH Johnson Facility in preparation for the installation of fiber technology to speed up our network. This work is all being done in-house.
11. We are reviewing a bid from a contractor on a possible system to allow remote access to the Palm Ridge pickleball courts. This would allow us to log the user’s visit, keep outsiders from entering without being a guest of a member and allow the users to get in through the locked gate without going into the monitor’s station at theAquaticsCenter. We will only pursue this option if it is not cost-prohibitive.
R. H. Johnson Library:
12. Author J. A. Jance was on hand last Thursday, August 2nd at thePalmRidgeRec.Center to talk about her new book and take questions answers. Approximately 200 people attended this event. There were many positive comments from the people who attended which included how much they enjoyed listening to her.
13. The 2011 Audit of the Chartered Clubs has been completed and the audit summary has been distributed.
14. Our next scheduled event is our Summer Series on August 20th and 21st featuring Mary Jo Johnson.
15. Tickets went on sale this past Friday August 3rd for the End of Summer Pool party which will be held Friday September 28th at the RH Johnson Pool. Gates open at 6:00 p.m., dinner is served at 6:30 p.m. and the dance begins at 7 p.m. This event is being catered by Memo’s Bistro and includes chicken and fish wraps, Spanish rice, beans, iced tea and lemonade. Dessert is Italian ice. Music will be provided by the RAVE and begins at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $12 for residents, $15 for non-residents. Groups of 24 or more may request reserved seating at the time of purchase. No tickets will be sold on the day of the event.
16. Residents began signing up for the October Garage Sale on Friday, August 3rd. The Garage Sale takes place on Saturday, October 20. Spaces are $15.00 each.
17. The Palm Ridge outdoor pool will be closed August 6th through August 8th for repairs on the deck. The tile work on the outdoor pool will be addressed when the locker rooms are being renovated.
18. The Bowling Center is still closed for summer maintenance and reopens on August 13th. Memo’s Bistro will remain open during this time.
19. Desert Trails Golf Course reopened today after a 4-day closure for greens aerification.
20. Trail Ridge closes on Thursday through Sunday for aerification.
21. The Range Tee project at Grandview Golf Course has been completed. We will roll the sod this afternoon and Tuesday and hope to make our first cut on Wednesday.
22. The Lake Shore Project atGrandviewon #6 will take about two weeks to complete. We will be installing a retaining wall and putting down sod.
23. We will be using a planer and doing some top dressing of the Lawn bowls courts this week which will complete our summer aerification program.
24. The date for the 2013 LPGA Event is February 22 – 24. Kevin Wurgler is working with Walgreen’s and the LPGA on the details for this upcoming event.
25. We expect overseeding to take place on September 27 or 28. The actual putting down of seed depends upon the temperatures.
26. Golf Maintenance Management change which take place today:
- Dan Mauer who was Supt. of Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook Golf Courses will now be responsible for Echo Mesa only and serve as Safety Coordinator for all of Golf Maintenance.
- Jonathan Courtney who was Assistant Superintendent for Pebblebrook Golf Course was promoted to Head Superintendent for Pebblebrook.
27. Managers and supervisors will be attending required training on sexual and workplace harassment on Tuesday of this week.
28. Employee Evaluations for 2013 are scheduled to take place in May.
29. The Association Auditors should be complete with their annual audit on Friday, August 10th.
30. The new time keeping vendor now has access to our server as of today so they can set up and begin testing. Once testing is complete they can begin training.
Aug. 20 & 21 (Mon/Tues) 7 pm, Stardust theater, SCW Sweetheart Mary Jo Johnson. Mary Jo began performing and signing at a young age, and has never lost her zest for the stage. Her delivery of the old standards draws her audience into reflections of their times during “the good ol’ days”.
August 25th (Sat) Sunset, RHJ Pool, DIVE IN MOVIE, roger Downey Jr. and Jude Law bring “Sherlock Holmes – a Game of Shadows” to the big screen. Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson, join forces to outwit and bring down their fiercest adversary, Professor Moriarity.