Aug. 13, 2012
Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 13, 2012
To: Terry Hamman, RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Activity Report– 08/13/12
1. GrandviewCart Barn Update: Steel plates are being welded on the building girders this morning. As soon as the plates are secured, the roof purling will be run followed by the roof sheeting.
2. The Numbering on the ends of the R.H. Johnson Bocce courts will be completed today. The courts will be ready for play by the end of today.
3. Running Construction has completed three sides of the new plinth board replacement on court 1 at the R. H. Johnson Lawn Bowl Facility. The final side is being set today and they will pour the footing on Wednesday. The court should be completed by the end of this week.
4. Reliable Roofing has started the roof restoration to the Library Clock Tower roof section. They will be completed by the end of the week.
5. Carpet Corner will start the turf replacement on the Beardsley Mini Golf Course on Monday, September 24th.
6. Work on the remodeling of the Governing Board Conference Room is just about complete. Aqua chill will be here today to reconnect the water system in the conference room.
7. Due to the extreme heat outside, the ambient air temperature in the Palm ridge pool area has been recorded at 97 degrees. We have had to shut the pool down twice due to the high temps. Staff and Management will be discussing ways to resolve this issue.
8. The bottom of the Beardsley pool shell surface is showing signs of staining again. We had the area acid washed approximately 5 years ago which seemed to correct the staining. We tested the pool water to check the chemical composition to see if anything in the water could be attributed to the staining but found nothing out of the ordinary. We will be discussing the proper course of action to address this situation.
9. We are not able to retrieve the voice mail messages off of our phone system at the present time. The telephone vendor is working to find out what caused the problem and correct it. In the mean while, if we don’t respond to your messages right away, you will understand why.
10. We will be getting two additional bids for remote access to Palm Ridge Pickleball Courts.
11. We are working with Total E on updates to our software regarding Membership and Billing. We hope to have the updates installed in September.
R. H. Johnson Library:
12. Our Library Director will be present an Introduction to eBooks at the R. H. Johnson Library on Monday, August 20th at 10 a.m. This is a very basic class for residents who want to learn what eBooks are and how to use them.
13. We will also have a class on the Nook eReader at the Library on Friday, August 24th at 10 a.m. for residents who own the Nook eReader.
14. We will be adding evening hours for the Library. For the time period of October 16th through April 9, 2013 on Tuesdays only, the Library will be open for Patrons from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
15. Beginning September 1st through April 2013, we are extending our Box Office hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday Box Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Tuesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
16. Our next scheduled event is our Summer Series on August 20th and 21st featuring Mary Jo Johnson.
17. Tickets went on sale this past Friday August 3rd for the End of Summer Pool party which will be held Friday September 28th at the RH Johnson Pool. Gates open at 6:00 p.m., dinner is served at 6:30 p.m. and the dance begins at 7 p.m. This event is being catered by Memo’s Bistro and includes chicken and fish wraps, Spanish rice, beans, iced tea and lemonade. Dessert is Italian ice. Music will be provided by the RAVE and begins at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $12 for residents, $15 for non-residents. Groups of 24 or more may request reserved seating at the time of purchase. No tickets will be sold on the day of the event.
18. Residents began signing up for the October Garage Sale on Friday, August 3rd. The Garage Sale takes place on Saturday, October 20. Spaces are $15.00 each.
19. We received a sponsorship from Ford Travel Agency for our Cruise Ship Series Events. Many thanks to Ford Travel!
20. The Bowling Center has reopened after being closed for two weeks for summer maintenance.
21. August 28th is Dollar Day Bowling. Bowling, shoe rental, soda, hotdogs and selected beer are all one dollar each. Come on in and have some fun!
22. Labor Day, Sept. 3rd buy one line of bowling and get the second line half off.
23. September 29th is our Fall kick off for our Red Pin/No Tap. Sign up and join us for $14.00 per person.
24. 42 League Secretaries attended our meeting on Friday, August 10th
25. Bowling revenue this summer is up over last summer.
26. HR handed out a reminder regarding the procedures for calling “911” in cases of emergency and what to do in “non-emergency” situations where help is needed. Staff is requested to review this information with your department employees.
Aug. 20 & 21 (Mon/Tues) - 7 pm, Stardust theater, SCW Sweetheart Mary Jo Johnson. Mary Jo began performing and signing at a young age, and has never lost her zest for the stage. Her delivery of the old standards draws her audience into reflections of their times during “the good ol’ days”.
August 25th (Sat) - Sunset, RHJ Pool, DIVE IN MOVIE, roger Downey Jr. and Jude Law bring “Sherlock Holmes – a Game of Shadows” to the big screen. Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson, join forces to outwit and bring down their fiercest adversary, Professor Moriarity.