Feb. 27, 2017
Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 27, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 27, 2017
- Running Construction has installed the light poles for the 8 new Pickle Ball courts. Light fixtures are expected to arrive this week. Chain Link fencing is being installed and is 70% complete. Asphalt work was scheduled for last Friday but the ground is too wet to proceed. Coatings on the courts were scheduled for today, February 27 but this date has been pushed back due to today’s rain forecast. The delay in work is expected to be at least one week due to the rain.
- Foresite Construction has laid out the competition pool and the walking pool. Some work has been completed in the boiler room. Excess dirt continues to be removed from the site. Mason and foundation crews are on site to begin work.
- Running Construction has installed landscape and tree lighting at the Meditation Garden at the Beardsley Facility. Todd Patty’s crew has been busy installing various plantings in the area. Rotary is currently working on the entry signage.
- Fabric Wall Concepts met with staff to go over several concepts for the installation of sound proofing of the Beardsley Aquatic Facility. Once a concept has been chosen by Cindy Knowlton and her staff, Fabric Wall Concepts will complete their drawings and submit their cost proposal to complete the installation.
- We continue to be busy on the weekends. Our Sunday Special brought in $715 in revenue and Tuesday’s Bowling Special brought in $182. There were three more 300 games bowled at Johnson Lanes – Tom Casazar, Pioneer League, George Waldon, Classic League and Bill Poff, Classic League. Congratulations to all!
- Tickets went on sale for the Westernaires and Rhythm Tappers events. Tickets for the Westernnaires Show can be purchased for April 6 (2 p.m.), April 7 and 8 (7 p.m.) and April 9 (2 p.m.). Tickets for the Rhythm Tappers Show can be purchased for Friday and Saturday, April 21 and 22 (7 p.m. and Sunday, April 23 (2 p.m.).
- Join us for our next So You Think You Have Talent in the Kuentz Courtyard on Tuesday, Feb, 28 at 11:00 am. Entertainment is provided by singer/guitarist Jody Yeoman.
- Tickets for the Rene Foss Cruise Ship event on Friday, March 3 are sold out.
- Tickets for our March 9 Cruise Ship Series Event, Motown Magic are available for the 3 p.m. show. The 7 pm show is sold out.
- Happy Camp is scheduled to take place the last three week of March. Be sure to sign your visiting youngsters up at the Box Office for Happy Camp Events. For more details call 623-544-6093.
- “Spring Fest” on April 10, 11 and 12. Friday, April 10 is Southwest Surfers, Saturday, April 11 is Coral Paradise and Sunday, April 12 is Hot Rocks. All shows are at Beardsley Park at 7 p.m. and are SOLD OUT!
- Our next guided walking trail tour is at the Chuckwalla Trail, Saturday, March 4, 9:00 a.m. at Palm Ridge.
- Author Sheila Grinell Book Talk took place on Wednesday, Feb. 15 in the Acacia Room.
- Wed Feb 22 Dramatic Poetry Reading took place in the RHJ Lecture Hall. There was a very nice turnout for the afternoon. This was the third collaboration between the Library Poetry Group and Theater West. Featured poems were written by members of the Poetry Group.
- Tech Topics: We talked about Online Voting, 10 am Friday, Feb 24 in the Lecture Hall. Attendees learned how to navigate through the online voting process so they would be prepared to vote on line for Governing Board Directors in the upcoming election. Tech Topics are presented by Katy O’Grady and Jason Hiller on a periodic basis. Watch for future Tech Topic to be discussed in the future.
- Bookshare will be offered for the first time tomorrow, Feb. 28 at 1:30 p.m. in the Library. It is an informal group who get together to discuss and recommend different authors.
- Mac-Cro-Knit will be staging a “Knit-In” at the Library the morning of Thursday, March 2. The Club will demonstrate and display the many items they create and give to charities. Donations of yarn and needles will be accepted.
- Regarding voting in the upcoming election for Governing Board Candidates, look for details on how to vote (online, early and in person) in the March issue of the Rec. Center News.
- We will be testing a “key swipe” lock system on the IT Bldg. and RHJ Admin. Building doors. Installation of this new system will be starting this week.
- Some parts failed on the telephone equipment at Pebblebrook Pro Shop which resulted in the interruption of telephone service. Century Link was notified and has made the necessary repairs.
- The LPGA all day events start tomorrow at Grandview Golf Course and the Legends Event takes place at Grandview this coming weekend.
- Landscape Maintenance has completed planting trees and bushes for the Meditation Garden and weather permitting will be finishing up putting rock down this week.
- Revenue for February is up $2,000 over prior year and rounds are down about 400 for the same time period.
- 74 golfers participated in the Hickory Tournament this past weekend with golfers coming from some faraway destinations including South Africa.
- We have contacted APS to repair three street lights outside the R.H. Johnson Library. APS believes there is an underground wiring problem.
- The Library Clock Tower project is complete. We now have the ability to change the lighting and the chimes as needed.
- Facility Maintenance personnel is working on a water leak repair in an RHJ lower level office area apparently coming from a custodian closet.
- We are almost finished with the draft FY 17/18 Budget which will be presented to at the next B&F Committee Meeting.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our sixth season highlighting many new acts and all of your old favorites! Join us in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 a.m. Tuesdays for an hour of fun. Our lineup for January is:
Feb. 28: Singer/Guitarist Jody Yeoman
March 14 – Singer Gale Leach (new)
March 21 – With a Little Help from my Friends (Beatles Tribute). This is a 90-minute show.
March 28 – Singer Marilyn McClenahan with Divas and Demons (new)
Mon Mar 13 & 27 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. If you play a string instrument or other similar instruments join in on the fun. We supply sound and chairs for the musicians. This is open to SCW residents and guests. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed Mar 8 & 22 HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm Kuentz Courtyard. This event is free and is for residents and their invited guests. Bring your own beverage and snacks. Ice and Coffee are provided. You may also brng your own chair.
March 8 – 6 to 7p.m. Mary Jo Johnson, 7 to 8 p.m. John Peters
March 22 Back in Time
Fri & Sat Mar 4 & 5 LPGA, Grandview Golf Course. See Rec Center News for Details
Fri Mar 4 CRUISE SHIP presents RENE FOSS, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
Thu Mar 9 MOTOWN MAGIC, 3 & 7 pm. Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Both shows are SOLD OUT!
Mar 10, 11, 12 SPRINGFEST at Beardsley Park
Mar 10 – Southwest Surfers, 7 pm Sold out!
Concessions: Dillons Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Mar 11 – Coral Paradise, 7 pm Sold Out!
Concessions: Chick-Fill-A Chicken Sandwiches
Mar 12 – Hot Rocks, 7 pm Sold Out!
Concessions: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Brats
Wed Mar 15 SURPRISE POPS CONCERT, 5 pm, Beardsley Park. It’s Free, Bring your own Chair! Hamburgers, hot dogs and brats will be available at the concession stands. Today the band has grown to about 100 members and plays free concerts to thousands of West Valley audiences every season. The band still keeps the tradition of not charging for a concert. However, they do ask the audience to bring a nonperishable food donation to the concert for the food bank.
Fri Mar 17 DUNLAP AND PENNINGTON , 7 pm Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
Sat Mar 18 ARTS & CRAFTS FAIR 8 am – 2 pm. RH Johnson Complex. Thousands of one-of-a-kind treasures. Stop and shop! See all the beautiful art created by our fellow residents.
Wed Mar 23 WEST VALLEY WINDS, 5 pm, Beardsley Park, Its free, bring your own chair!. Concessions will be on hand, including hamburgers, hot dogs and brats. West Valley Wind Ensemble began more than 30 years ago when a group of musicians led by Walter Moeck, got together to read and play music in Sun City West. In 2014, the group moved its rehearsals to Sun City at the Valley View Food Bank. The Food Bank’s sponsorship enabled the band to become an Arizona incorporated nonprofit organization. The band continues to have a strong relationship and commitment to Valley View Food Bank. The West Valley Wind Ensemble gives concerts in the West Valley area, seeking donations of funds to cover costs of the band’s operation and non-perishable food items for the Food Bank.
Fri Mar 31 March Dance – RHYTHM EDITION, 7pm, Palm Ridge. This event is SOLD OUT!
Saturdays URBAN TRAIL ESCORTED HIKES, 9 am. Join us on an escorted hike on one of our designated Urban Trails. The Urban Trail Guide is online at www.suncitywest.com or pick up a brochure at any Rec Center. Committee members who created the guides are excited to formally unveil the routes as they invite community members to walk with them beginning in January. All walks will begin 9 a.m. Saturday mornings, starting at the recreation center from which the routes originate. Members wishing to join the walking tours should meet up with the day’s guide near the fitness center of the designated rec center. There are expected to be two guides per walk, and the Rec Centers will provide bottled water to get started. The schedule of walks is as follows:
Mar 4 Chuckwalla Trail, Palm Ridge
Mar 11 Praying Mantis Trail, Beardsley