Feb. 6, 2017
Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 06, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 06, 2017
- Landscape Maintenance has been busy trenching and installing irrigation lines to the designated landscape areas at the new Pickle Ball Facility. Contractors are setting forms for the curbing and sidewalks. Court fence is scheduled to begin this week.
- Foresite Construction has been busy hauling off excess dirt for the R. H. Johnson Pool construction site. They are in the process of laying out the new pool configuration. They are scheduled to start some of the plumbing work in the boiler room beginning tomorrow.
- Running Construction started the layout of landscape lighting at the Beardsley Meditation Garden at the Beardsley Facility. Todd Patty’s crew has been busy with installing various plants in the area. Both groups are working together to coordinate trenching for conduit and water lines. Weather permitting, the Landscaping crew expect to begin planting trees next week.
- Fabric Wall Concepts continues to work on a proposal to install sound proofing material at the Beardsley Aquatic Facility based on a sound study that was conducted by Acoustical Consulting Services. They will be on site this Thursday to review some concepts with staff along with budget numbers.
- DFG Builders was on site last week to take care of some warranty work on the R. H. Johnson Bocce Courts which has now been completed.
- Our next So You Think You Have Talent at Kuentz Courtyard is tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 11:00 a.m. Join us for our sixth season highlighting some new acts and many of your old favorites. “Third Street Jazz” provides the entertainment. Don’t miss them!
- Join us for Happy Hour from 6 – 8 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard. The Jan Petri Band provides the entertainment. This event is free for residents and their invited guests. You may bring your own beverage, chair, and snacks. Ice and coffee are provided.
- Our upcoming Dance with Yesterday and Once More on Friday, Feb. 10 at Palm Ridge has been sold out.
- Tickets are still available for “Linacre & Knight at 3 and 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 9 at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center. You will hear some of their favorite musical masterpieces including featured songs from hit Broadway shows like “Les Miserables” and “Phantom of the Opera”. The cost is $25 per ticket and can be purchased on line or at the Sun City West Box Office.
- Saturday, February 11 is the ARC (Automobile Restoration Club) Car Show at 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot. 250 to 300 cars of all kinds and from every era will be on display! This year ARC has added another category for golf carts. Stop by the ACR Building for a registration form. Come enjoy a day of cars, trucks, food, entertainment, and a raffle for a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire along with other items. Everyone is invited to bring a can of food to donate to the Food Bank.
- We are holding our workshops for “On Line Ticket Buying” at the Data Resource Center in the Library for those needing help in learning to purchase tickets on line.
- We continue to be busy on the weekends. Our Sunday Special brought in $430 in revenue and Tuesday’s Bowling Special brought in $258 and 77 Football lovers were on hand for our Big Bowl Party on Sunday.
- Arts & Crafts Fair packets are ready for participating clubs in the upcoming Spring Arts & Crafts Fair scheduled for Saturday, March 18, 2017.
- January sales at the Village Store came in at just under $26,000 for the month.
- Katie will be out on Monday, Feb. 13 and return on Feb. 21. You can contact Rita Irwin at the Village Store for anything you might need in Katie’s absence. If Rita is not available, you can speak with any employee available at the Village Store.
- Our next Chat with Local Authors in on Tuesday, February 7 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Library.
- Our plans for Online Voting are coming along well. Details regarding the online voting process will be available in the next issue of the Rec. Center News.
- We are looking into streaming Governing Board Meetings so those that cannot attend can view the meetings live from their computer/device.
- Our TEG system will be updated today through Wednesday (2/6 – 2/8). Employees will not be able to use the computer system after 6 p.m. on each of these days during the update.
- Financials so far for the month of February 2017 are up for both rounds and revenue compared to the same time-period last year.
- We added “Golf 18” as an additional tee time booking agent this past Thursday.
- There is a little less than a month before the LPGA Legends Event takes place at Grandview Golf Course. We will be busy and have lots of preparation work to accomplish!
- Landscape Maintenance has started the 2nd phase of the Beardsley Meditation Garden Project, doing conduit and electrical trench work to the trees for the Beardsley Meditation Garden. The first delivery of plants for the Garden are almost all in and weather permitting, we expect to begin planting the trees next week.
- A new Key Fob printer has been installed at Member Services. The Key Fobs printed will now have the owner member’s picture on them which enhances their use.
- Our new Financial Accountant, Timothy DeAngelo joins our Financial Services Dept. today, February 6, 2017. Be sure to stop in and welcome Tim on board!
- We are working on the Insurance renewal application for Cyber Insurance.
- Tony continues working with staff and the B&F Committee on the FY 17/18 Capital Budget. We expect to have a draft of the Capital Budget to the B&F Committee on Feb. 21.
- Nancy Beam retired on Thursday of last week. One of the two new Member Services employees recently hired last week, Gail Selander left our employ. Jan Graf is still with us. We have offered the open position to another candidate and await their response.
- IT and Member Services have received over 9,000 email address from our members for online voting.
- We’ve received the 85ft. lift we rented for the upcoming work on the Library Clock Tower to assist us in repainting, bee removal and other maintenance items. We’ve scheduled the maintenance projects so the main entrance of the Library would not be accessible today as the entire Library is closed on Monday’s. Remaining projects after today will not have an impact on the main Library entrance. The lift will also be used for replacement of the faces on the clock next week.
- The water heater locations at the R. H. Johnson pool need to be moved. This will necessitate closing the R. H. Johnson Fitness Room tomorrow (2/7) from 6 a.m. to Noon and closing the spa for the entire day on 2/7.
- All employees are reminded to attend the Annual OSHA Training Jim Heger has scheduled for Feb. 6, 7 & 8 in the RH Johnson Social Hall. This training is mandatory for all employees. Class times have been modified to accommodate as many people as possible.
- We have received financial reports for 100 of our 110 chartered clubs and hope to have the rest in the next day or so.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our sixth season highlighting many new acts and all of your old favorites! Join us in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 a.m. Tuesdays for an hour of fun. Our lineup for February is:
Feb. 7: Third Street Jazz New, (they were rained out last year). Don’t miss them!
Feb. 14: Singer/keyboardist Bill Ciccone
Feb. 21: Singer Cheryl Wagner
Feb. 28: Singer/Guitarist Jody Yeoman
Mon Feb 13 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. If you play a string instrument or other similar instruments join in on the fun. We supply sound and chairs for the musicians. This is open to SCW residents and guests. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed Feb 8 & 22 HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm Kuentz Courtyard. This event is free and is for residents and their invited guests. Bring your own beverage and snacks. Ice and Coffee are provided. You can also bring your own chair
Feb 8 – Jan Petri Band
Feb 22 – Touch of Grey
Thu Feb 9 LINACRE & KNIGHT, 3 & 7 pm. Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Enjoy a fresh, new look at London’s West End and Broadway show tunes through their amazing voices, world renowned Linacre & Knights come together to share some of their favorite musical masterpieces, including featured songs from hit Broadway shows like “Les Miserables,” “Phantom of the Opera,” and many more! Sit back and listen to these two beautiful voices blend together in an unforgettable show! Tickets are $25 each and can be purchased online at Suncitywet.com or at our Box Office at the RH Johnson Rec Center. Box Office hours are 8 am-3 pm Mon – Fri.
Fri Feb 10 FEBRUARY DANCE with YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, 7pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
Sat Feb 11 ARC CAR SHOW, 8 am – 2 pm RH Johnson Parking Lot. If you enjoy 250 to 300 cars of all kinds and from every era, then this is the car show for you. This year the ARC has added a category for golf carts. Stop by the ARC Building for a registration form. Come enjoy a day of cars, trucks, food and entertainment. Raffle tickets will be on sale for a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire, a complete home AC/Heating system from Sun City Mechanical or $3,000 cash, an appliance package from Associated Appliance Sales, and many other raffle items. Car Show hours are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and admission is free for the general public. Everyone is invited to bring a can of food to donate to the Food Bank.
Mon Feb 13 ABBAFAB, 3 & 7 pm. Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Both shows are SOLD OUT!
Fri Feb 17 SCARBOROUGH FARE , 7 pm Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
Sat Feb 18 US AIR FORCE JAZZ BAND-THE COMMANDERS, Beardsley Park, 1 pm. This event is free and open to the public. Please bring your own chair. Soda, hot dogs, chips, popcorn and ice cream will be available for purchase at the event. The Commanders, a newly revived ensemble coming from the U.S. Air Force Band of the Golden West, carries on the American musical tradition of the great big bands, yet offers a lot more than the big band sounds. This energetic group of highly trained, professional musicians formed from 18 airmen and delivers the full gamut of jazz music – traditional jazz, cool, bop, swing, Broadway favorites and patriotic music
Thu Feb 23 WINTER DANCE PARTY, 3 & 7pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, John Mueller’s “Winter Dance Party” is the official live and authentic re-creation of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper’s final tour and the only show endorsed by the Holly, Valens and Richardson estates. Tickets are $25 each and can be purchased online at Suncitywet.com or at our Box Office at the RH Johnson Rec Center. Box Office hours are 8 am-3 pm Mon – Fri.
Sat & Sun Feb 25 & 26 Palo Verde Patchers 10th anniversary Quilt Show – Legacy of Quilts. 9 am – 4pm Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Free and Open to the Public. Each day will include a boutique, antique quilt walk, a spring bling exhibit, a quilt appraiser and a quilt raffle. The entry fee is $3 and lunch can be purchased. This show will feature Brenda Archambault as the guest Fiber Arts Quilter. She will exhibit some of her weaving and needlework along with a multitude of quilts and wearable art.
Saturdays URBAN TRAIL ESCORTED HIKES, 9 am. Join us on an escorted hike on one of our designated Urban Trails. The Urban Trail Guide is online at www.suncitywest.com or pick up a brochure at any Rec Center. Committee members who created the guides are excited to formally unveil the routes as they invite community members to walk with them beginning in January. All walks will begin 9 a.m. Saturday mornings, starting at the recreation center from which the routes originate. Members wishing to join the walking tours should meet up with the day’s guide near the fitness center of the designated rec center. There are expected to be two guides per walk, and the Rec Centers will provide bottled water to get started. The schedule of walks is as follows:
Feb 11 Ocotillo Trail, RH Johnson
Feb 18 Praying Mantis Trail, Beardsley
Feb 25 Javeline Trail, Palm Ridge