Heard a rumor? Want info? Just ask!
A word to our residents:
In any community, no matter how well run, there is always some degree of rumor and discontent (usually the latter is caused by the former). Sun City West is no exception. We have been ranked No. 3 IN THE NATION for best active-adult communities, and yet we have some residents who are unhappy.
No matter how many public meetings, open doors, and access to emails and phone numbers we provide for residents to contact us and find answers to their questions, there will always be some who do not participate in these opportunities, or who do participate but don’t like the answers they receive. A small handful of these residents will take it one step further, and try to stir up discontent among their neighbors.
Thanks to the digital age, their efforts can also now be directed through the internet, via Facebook, email and other online tools. One such effort is a closed Facebook page, where the moderator is soliciting residents to share their frustration about the Rec Centers. We are not on this Facebook page – it is a closed group and we are not welcome to join. But we have heard about it from quite a few of our residents who have joined “out of curiosity.” They have not been happy about the rumors and the attempts to generate anger that they have read on the site.
The Governing Board, Management and staff at the Rec Centers are all about communication and providing information and answers. Here is just a sampling of the various ways we work to communicate with our residents:
- At least four public meetings a month – you are invited to all of them!
- Up to seven public Committee meetings a month – you are invited to all of them!
- An open door policy at our Administration building – you are welcome to stop by any time the facility is open!
- A twice-annual TORCH Citizens Academy designed specifically for those who want to learn more – you are encouraged to sign up!
- A weekly eNewsletter – please sign up, it’s free!
- A monthly newspaper delivered to every door step – please read it, it’s free!
- A website that welcomes public input through its comment section – submit a comment any time!
- A Facebook page – please feel free to “Like” us and leave a comment or suggestion!
- A great rapport with the local newspapers who publish our press releases and your letters to the editor – feel free to submit one!
- And a standing policy wherein we publish our Governing Board Directors’ email addresses and personal phone numbers online and in every issue of the Rec Center News – contact them and let them know what you’re thinking!
- Don’t forget about the Information Center inside the R.H. Johnson Library. If the staff doesn’t have an immediate answer, they will research it and call back with credible, reliable information!
It’s hard to get much more open than that (although if you have ideas, we’re more than willing to consider them!) We do not shy away from tough questions. We answer them, even if it means we have to give you an answer you don’t want to hear. Sometimes making the hard decisions makes us unpopular among a subset of our residents. We understand that. (Oh, wouldn’t it be nice if all 28,500 of our residents agreed on everything, making our decisions easy!) But one thing we promise you: We always act in the best interests of the Association. We ask our residents to do the same.